Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Our Guardian Angels: Some Thoughts and Prayers




"Take care that you do not despise one of these little ones; for, I tell you, in heaven their angels continually see the face of my Father in heaven.” (Matthew 18:10)

Today is the old feast of the Holy Guardian Angels. This commemoration is based on the above passage in Matthew and the fruit of much Christian experience. It was placed near St. Michael’s day (Sept. 29), and the commemoration of the Archangel Raphael is on the 24th of October. So, this is a sort of “season of the angels” in the calendar.

Here are some prayers drawn from Western and Eastern Christian sources for the faithful to use in conjunction with their angelic guardian. These prayers serve as a good reminder that the Communion of Saints extends to the angelic host (something we confess at each Eucharist when we say “Holy! Holy! Holy!” &c.). We are in a long-term relationship not only with other human beings, but with beings of an entirely different order as well. All such relationships in Christ’s Body need to be supported in prayer.

These prayers also help us remember there are endless mysteries awaiting us in the Creation, and that God’s providential care is all around us, even when all objective proof suggests otherwise.

X X X

A Litany, of the Guardian Angels

Lord, have mercy.
   Christ, have mercy.
Lord, have mercy. Christ, hear us.

Christ, graciously hear us.
   Christ, graciously hear us.

God the Father of Heaven.
   have mercy on us.
God the Son, Redeemer of the world.
   have mercy on us.
God the Holy Spirit.
   have mercy on us.
Holy Trinity, One God.
   have mercy on us.

R. Pray for us

Holy Mary, Queen of Heaven...
Holy Angel, my Guardian...
Holy Angel, my Protector in all dangers...
Holy Angel, my Defense in all afflictions...
Holy Angel, my most faithful Lover...
Holy Angel, my Preceptor...
Holy Angel, my Guide...
Holy Angel, Witness of all my actions...
Holy Angel, my Helper in all my difficulties...
Holy Angel, my Negotiator with God...
Holy Angel, my Advocate...
Holy Angel, lover of Chastity...
Holy Angel, lover of Innocence...
Holy Angel most obedient to God...
Holy Angel, Director of my soul...
Holy Angel, model of Purity...
Holy Angel, model of Docility...
Holy Angel, my Counselor in doubt...
Holy Angel, my Guardian through life...
Holy Angel, my shield at the hour of Death...

Lamb of God, Who takes away the sins of the world
   Spare us, O Lord.
Lamb of God, Who takes away the sins of the world
   Hear us, O Lord.
Lamb of God, Who takes away the sins of the world
   Have mercy on us.

Let us pray

O God, who with unspeakable providence gave your angels to be our guardians, mercifully grant, that we, your supplicants, may be always defended by their protection and enjoy their eternal society, through Jesus Christ, your Son, Our Lord, Who lives and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, One God, world without end. Amen.


Four Prayers:

O holy guardian Angel, to whose care God, in his mercy, has committed me, stand by me now and at my last hour; protect me against all the powers of darkness; defend me from all my enemies, and conduct my soul to the mansions of bliss. Amen.
From St. Augustine’s Prayer Book

O angel of God, my holy guardian, given to me from heaven, enlighten me this day, and save me from all evil. Instruct me in doing good deeds, and set me on the path of salvation. Amen.

O Holy Angel of God, guardian and protector of my soul and body, pray that I may be forgiven for every transgression I have committed this day. Deliver me from all evil influences and temptations, so that I may not anger my God by any sin. Pray for me that the Lord may make me worthy of His grace and to become partaker of His eternal kingdom. With the help of the Blessed Virgin Mary and of all the Saints. Amen.

O Holy Angel, who stands by my wretched soul and my passionate life: do not abandon me, a sinner, neither depart from me because of my lack of self-control. Leave no room for the evil demon to gain control of me through the violence of this mortal body. Strengthen my weak and feeble hand, and instruct me in the path of salvation. O holy Angel of God, the guardian and protector of my wretched soul and body: forgive all the sorrows I have caused you, every day of my life. If I have sinned in this past night, protect me during this day. Keep me from every adverse temptation, that I may not anger God by any sin. Pray to the Lord for me, that He may establish me in His fear and make me, His servant, worthy of His goodness. Amen.

From Eastern Christian sources

No comments:

Post a Comment