Thursday, November 5, 2009

The First Prayer of the Day

A Simple Office of Prime

For Use Upon Waking

First stand in silence, clearing your mind of all else but the gift of this new day and the presence of God. Then pray:

X In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Our Father...

V. O God, make speed to save us.

R. O Lord, made haste to help us.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen. Except in Lent, add Alleluia.

Hymn

Now that the day light fills the sky,


We lift our hearts to God on high,


That He, in all we do or say,


Would keep us free from harm today;

Would guard our hearts and tongues from strife;

From anger’s din would hide our life;


From all ill sights would turn our eyes,

And close our ears to vanities;

So we, when this new day is gone


And night in turn is drawing on,


With conscience by the world unstained

Shall praise His name for victory gained.

All laud to God the Father be;

All praise, eternal Son, to thee;

All glory, as is ever meet,

To God the holy Paraclete. Amen.

Psalm

Antiphon: Blessed are those who walk in the law of the Lord.

[On Fridays: You were slain and have redeemed us to God by your Blood.]

54 Deus, in nomine

1 Save me, O God, by your Name; *

in your might, defend my cause.

2 Hear my prayer, O God; *

give ear to the words of my mouth.

3 For the arrogant have risen up against me,

and the ruthless have sought my life, *

those who have no regard for God.

4 Behold, God is my helper; *

it is the Lord who sustains my life.

5 Render evil to those who spy on me; *

in your faithfulness, destroy them.

6 I will offer you a freewill sacrifice *

and praise your Name, O Lord, for it is good.

7 For you have rescued me from every trouble, *

and my eye has seen the ruin of my foes.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit:

as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen.


Antiphon: Blessed are those who walk in the law of the Lord.

[On Fridays: You were slain and have redeemed us to God by your Blood.]


The Lesson

On Sundays, Holy-Days, Eastertide.

To the King of ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen. 1 Timothy 1:17

At other times

Love the truth and peace, thus says the Lord of hosts. Zech. 8:19-20


Responsory

Jesus Christ, Son of the living God, have mercy upon us (Alleluia, Alleluia)

Jesus Christ, Son of the living God, have mercy upon us (Alleluia, Alleluia)

You that sit at the right hand of the Father,

Have mercy upon us (Alleluia, Alleluia)

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit;

Jesus Christ, Son of the living God, have mercy upon us (Alleluia, Alleluia)

O Lord, arise, help us;

And deliver us for you name’s sake.

Lord, hear my prayer;

And let my cry come to you.


Collects

O Almighty Lord, and everlasting God, direct, sanctify, and govern, both our hearts and bodies, in the ways of your laws, and in the works of your commandments; that through your mighty protection, both here and ever, we may be preserved in body and soul; through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Amen.

Lord God, almighty and everlasting Father, you have brought us in safety to this new day: Preserve us with your mighty power, that we may not fall into sin, nor be overcome by adversity; and in all we do, direct us to the fulfilling of your purpose; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Lord, give me the strength to greet the coming day in peace. Help me in all things to rely on Your holy will. Reveal Your will to me every hour of the day. Bless my dealings with all people. Teach me to treat all people who come to me throughout the day with peace of soul and with firm conviction that Your will governs all. In all my deeds and words guide my thoughts and feelings. In unexpected events, let me not forget that all are sent by you. Teach me to act firmly and wisely, without embittering and embarrassing others. Give me the physical strength to bear the labors of this day. Direct my will, teach me to pray, pray in me. Amen.

For Fridays

O everlasting Jesus, who in the early morning gave yourself to be reviled and mocked by your enemies; visit us, we pray you, at this hour with your grace and mercy; that throughout this day we may find peace and joy in all that ministers to you praise and glory; who lives and reigns with the Father and the Holy Spirit, ever one God, world without end. Amen.

At the Conclusion

Satisfy us with your mercy, O Lord, at this morning hour; that we may go on our way rejoicing, and sing of your glory all the day long; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

The Lord bless X us and preserve us from all evil, and bring us to everlasting life; and may the souls of the faithful through the mercy of God rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment