Saturday, December 15, 2012

Before and After Holy Communion: A rule of prayer for communicants




Offices of Preparation and Thanksgiving for Holy Communion
(in contemporary language)

An important part of our life as believers privileged to receive the Holy Mysteries is time in preparation and thanksgiving for the Holy Gifts. For many centuries, forms have existed for this in various parts of the Christian Church. Below is a modernized form of the classic Anglican Offices of Preparation and Thanksgiving for Reception for use by Episcopalians and others. [I hope, God willing, to post the traditional form in the future, for those desiring to use it.]

These prayers arise from many eras. Some—the Psalms—come to us directly from the Hebrew Bible. Others arise from the New Testament and early Christianity, yet others from the medieval world, and a few from the centuries since. Each carries a particular insight into what is, of course, always a profound mystery.

By preparing for the Eucharist, either on the night prior to or the morning of receiving, we are stilling our minds and focusing on the holiness and significance of what we about to do. We are making space in our soul for God to speak with that “still, small voice” that is drowned out in the rush and noise of modern, mechanized life. Time for preparation also helps us attend to the deep concerns we are bringing to the holy altar, consciously offering our lives to God for transformation, healing, and renewal.

After the Eucharist is concluded—either when at church, or after returning home—it is a wise practice to pray a short Office of Thanksgiving. This is one way of drawing out the Eucharist from an “event” locked in a particular time and place to a “way of life” permeating everything.

The use of these Offices is not a requirement, but it is a practice of long standing in the Church, and the mark of a spiritual life seeking the deeper things of the Spirit. May these prayers provide ample space and nourishment for those who desire to offer the Eucharistic “sacrifice of thanksgiving” with both intentionality and personal authenticity.

Before Holy Communion

Antiphon: You spread a table before me in the presence of those who trouble me; you have anointed my head with oil, and my cup is running over.  

Psalm 27  Dominus illuminatio

T
he Lord is my light and my salvation; whom then shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom then shall I be afraid?
   When evildoers came upon me to eat up my flesh, * it was they, my foes and my adversaries, who stumbled and fell.
   Though an army should encamp against me, yet my heart shall not be afraid;
   And though war should rise up against me, yet will I put my trust in him.
   One thing have I asked of the Lord; one thing I seek; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life;
   To behold the fair beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple.
   For in the day of trouble he shall keep me safe in his shelter; he shall hide me in the secrecy of his dwelling and set me high upon a rock.
   Even now he lifts up my head above my enemies round about me.
   Therefore I will offer in his dwelling an oblation with sounds of great gladness; I will sing and make music to the Lord.
   Hearken to my voice, O Lord, when I call; have mercy on me and answer me.
   You speak in my heart and say, “Seek my face.” Your face, Lord, will I seek.
   Hide not your face from me, nor turn away your servant in displeasure.
   You have been my helper; cast me not away; * do not forsake me, O God of my salvation.
   Though my father and my mother forsake me, the Lord will sustain me.
   Show me your way, O Lord; lead me on a level path, because of my enemies.
   Deliver me not into the hand of my adversaries, for false witnesses have risen up against me, and also those who speak malice.
   What if I had not believed that I should see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living!
   O tarry and await the Lord’s pleasure; be strong, and he shall comfort your heart; wait patiently for the Lord.
   Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and the Holy Spirit: as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever.  Amen.

Psalm 84 Quam dilecta!

H
ow dear to me is your dwelling, O LORD of hosts! My soul has a desire and longing for the courts of the LORD; my heart and my flesh rejoice in the living God.
   The sparrow has found her a house and the swallow a nest where she may lay her young; by the side of your altars, O LORD of hosts, my King and my God.
   Happy are they who dwell in your house! they will always be praising you.
   Happy are the people whose strength is in you! whose hearts are set on the pilgrims’ way.
   Those who go through the desolate valley will find it a place of springs, for the early rains have covered it with pools of water.
   They will climb from height to height, and the God of gods will reveal himself in Zion.
   LORD God of hosts, hear my prayer; hearken, O God of Jacob.
   Behold our defender, O God; and look upon the face of your Anointed.
   For one day in your courts is better than a thousand in my own room, and to stand at the threshold of the house of my God than to dwell in the tents of the wicked.
   For the LORD God is both sun and shield; he will give grace and glory; No good thing will the LORD withhold from those who walk with integrity.
   O LORD of hosts, happy are they who put their trust in you!
   Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and the Holy Spirit: as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever.  Amen.

Antiphon: You spread a table before me in the presence of those who trouble me; you have anointed my head with oil, and my cup is running over.

Or, in Penitential Seasons

Antiphon: Remember not, Lord, our offences, nor the offences of our forebears; do not requite us for our sins.

Psalm 130 De profundis

O
ut of the depths have I called to you, O LORD; LORD, hear my voice; let your ears consider well the voice of my supplication.
   If you, LORD, were to note what is done amiss, O LORD, who could stand?
   For there is forgiveness with you; therefore you shall be feared.
    I wait for the LORD; my soul waits for him; in his word is my hope.
   My soul waits for the LORD, more than watchmen for the morning, more than watchmen for the morning.
   O Israel, wait for the LORD, for with the LORD there is mercy;
   With him there is plenteous redemption, and he shall redeem Israel from all their sins.
   Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and the Holy Spirit: as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever.  Amen.

Antiphon: Remember not, Lord, our offences, nor the offences of our forebears; do not requite us for our sins.

Lord, have mercy.
   Christ, have mercy.
Lord, have mercy.

Our Father, &c.

V. I said, Lord, be merciful to me.
R. Heal my soul, for I have sinned against you.
V. Turn again, O Lord, at the last;
R. And be gracious to your servants.
V. Lord, show us your love and mercy;
R. For we put our trust in you.
V. Let your priests be clothed with righteousness;
R. And your saints sing with joyfulness.
V. Cleanse me from my secret faults;
R. Keep your servant from presumptuous sins.
V. Lord, hear my prayer.
R. And let my cry come to you.
V. The Lord be with you;
R. And also with you.

Let us pray.

M
ost gracious God, incline your merciful ears to our prayers, and enlighten our hearts by the grace of your Holy Spirit; that we may worthily approach these holy Mysteries, and love you with an everlasting love.
   O Lord, may the Comforter who proceeds from you illuminate our minds, and lead us, as your Son has promised, into all truth.
   O Lord, may the power of the Holy Spirit be with us, and both mercifully cleanse and purify our hearts, and defend us from all adversities.
   Purify our conscience, Almighty God, by your visitation, that your Son Jesus Christ, at his coming, may find in us a mansion prepared for himself; who lives and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

A
lmighty and everlasting God, behold we approach the Sacrament of your only-begotten Son, our Lord Jesus Christ. As sick, we come to the Physician of life: as unclean, to the Fountain of mercy: as blind, to the Light of eternal splendor: as needy, to the Lord of heaven and earth: as naked, to the King of glory.
   We pray you, therefore, of the abundance of your infinite majesty, that you would heal our sickness, wash our foulness, lighten our blindness, enrich our poverty, clothe our nakedness; that we may receive the Bread of angels, the King of kings, the Lord of lords, with such reverence and fear, such contrition and love, such faith and purity, such devotion and humility, as is best for the welfare of our souls. Grant, we pray you, that we may receive not only the outward sign of the Lord’s Body and Blood, but also the very gift and virtue of the same. O most merciful God, grant us so to receive the Body of your only-begotten Son our Lord Jesus Christ, which he took of the Virgin Mary, that we may be incorporated into his mystical Body, and ever reckoned among his members. And, O most loving Father, grant that whom we now purpose to receive under a veil we may at length behold face to face, even your beloved Son, who with you and the Holy Spirit, lives and reigns ever one God, world without end. Amen.

J
oy with peace, amendment of life, time for true repentance, the grace and comfort of your Holy Spirit, perseverance in good works, grant us, O almighty and merciful Lord. Amen.

V. The Lord be with you;
R. And also with you.
V. Let us bless the Lord.
R. Thanks be to God.

B
lessed be God, who blesses and sanctifies us through our partaking of his holy and precious and heavenly Mysteries, now and for ever and world without end. Amen.

Thanksgiving after Holy Communion

Antiphon: God gave them bread from heaven; so mortals ate the angels’ food.

From the Song of the Three Young Men  Benedicite omina opera.

G
lorify the Lord, all you works of the Lord, praise him and highly exalt him for ever.
   Glorify the Lord, you angels and all powers of the Lord, praise him and highly exalt him for ever.
   Let the people of God glorify the Lord, praise him and highly exalt him for ever.
   Glorify the Lord, O priests and servants of the Lord, praise him and highly exalt him for ever.
   Glorify the Lord, O spirits and souls of the righteous, praise him and highly exalt him for ever.
   You that are holy and humble of heart, glorify the Lord, praise him and highly exalt him for ever.
   Let us glorify the Lord: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit; praise him and highly exalt him for ever.
   In the firmament of his power, glorify the Lord, praise him and highly exalt him for ever.

Psalm 150 Laudate Dominum

H
allelujah! Praise God in his holy temple; praise him in the firmament of his power.
   Praise him for his mighty acts; praise him for his excellent greatness.
   Praise him with the blast of the ram’s horn; praise him with lyre and harp.
   Praise him with timbrel and dance; praise him with strings and pipe.
   Praise him with resounding cymbals; praise him with loud clanging cymbals.
   Let everything that has breath praise the Lord. Hallelujah!
   Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and the Holy Spirit: as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever.  Amen.

[Here may follow Nunc dimittis

L
ord, you now have set your servant free, to go in peace as you have promised;
   For my eyes have seen the Savior, whom you have prepared for all the world to see.
   A Light to enlighten the nations, and the glory of your people Israel.
   Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen.]

Antiphon: God gave them bread from heaven; so mortals ate the angels’ food.

Lord, have mercy.
   Christ, have mercy.
Lord, have mercy.

Our Father, &c.

V. Let us bless the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit;
R. Let us praise him and magnify him forever.
V. All your works praise you, O Lord;
R. And your saints give thanks to you.
V. Not unto us, O Lord, not unto us;
R. But to your Name give the praise.
V. Lord, hear our prayer;
R. And let our cry come to you.
V. The Lord be with you;
R. And also with you.

Let us pray.

O
 Lord Jesus Christ, who in a wonderful Sacrament has left us a memorial of your passion: Grant us, we pray, so to venerate the sacred mysteries of your Body and Blood, that we may ever perceive within ourselves the fruit of your redemption; who lives and reigns with the Father and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.  Amen.

Or, one of the following

W
e pray, O Lord Jesus Christ, that your passion may be for us virtue, whereby we may be fenced, protected, and defended. Let the sprinkling of your Blood be to us the washing away of all our sins. Let your death be to us everlasting glory, both now and for evermore. Amen.

G
rant, O Lord, we pray, that the fruits of our union and communion with you may always abide and abound in us, to the glory of your holy name, who lives and reigns with the Father and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

W
e offer thanks to you, O Lord, holy Father, Almighty everlasting God, who, not for any merit of ours, but of the condescension of your mercy only, has fed us sinners, your unworthy servants, with the precious Body and Blood of your Son our Lord Jesus Christ. And we humbly entreat your boundless clemency, almighty and merciful Lord, that this Holy Communion may not bring guilt upon us to condemnation, but may be unto us for pardon and salvation. Let it be to us an armor of faith and a shield of good resolution. Let it be to us a riddance of all vices and extermination of all evil desires and lusts, and an increase of love and patience, of humility and obedience, and of all virtues; a sure defense against the wiles of our enemies, visible or invisible; a perfect quieting of all sinful impulses, fleshly or spiritual; a firm adherence to you, the one true God, and a happy ending of our mortal life. And we pray you, that you would bring us to that ineffable feast, where you, with your Son and the Holy Spirit, are to your saints true light, full and everlasting joy, and perfect happiness; through the same our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.
adapted from The Cuddesdon Office Book and
The Book of Common Prayer, 1979

No comments:

Post a Comment