Thursday, March 12, 2020

Spiritual Communion during the season of coronavirus


Spiritual Communion

When unable to attend the Holy Eucharist

During this national health emergency, many people will be advised not to attend public worship; some will have their access to communion in a care center, hospital, or at home disrupted; many churches will be closed for a season. This will lead to a lack of normal sacramental support and communal encouragement.

The Church has long had a way to approach such difficult circumstances which both affirms the centrality of the Eucharist yet also accepts that, in the temporal affairs of humans, our preferred and normative practices may not always be possible.

The Book of Common Prayer reminds us that if one is unable to actually consume the consecrated bread and wine due to extreme sickness or disability, the desire is enough for God to grant all the benefits of communion. When being present at a celebration of the Eucharist is absolutely impossible, this act of prayer and meditation can provide the means by which you can associate yourself with the Eucharistic Action and open yourself to God's grace and blessing.

X     X     X


Blessed be GOD, X Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. And blessed be his kingdom, now and forever. Amen.

Collect
Let the power of the Holy Spirit come upon me, O Lord, I pray you: to cleanse my heart and defend me from all adversities. Through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Read the following lessons from scripture, or read the appointed lessons for the day

Epistle (Revelation 3:20)
Listen! I am standing at the door, knocking; if you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in to you and eat with you, and you with me.

The Gospel (St. John 15:5)
I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing.

In your own words, pray for your needs, for those of others, for the peace of the world, and for the Church. After offering these intercessions, continue with the

Act of Contrition
O God, I confess my sin against you, the author of life and giver of all good things, and I humbly repent. Especially, I confess.... Forgive me for Jesus’ sake, and grant me the grace to walk in your ways hereafter. Amen.

Act of Reception
In union, dear Lord with the faithful at every altar of your Church where the Holy Mysteries of your blessed Body and Blood are being celebrated and received (and remembering particularly my own parish and those worshiping there), I long to offer you praise and thanksgiving for creation and for all the blessings of this life, for the redemption won for us by your life, death, and resurrection, for the means of grace and the hope of glory (and particularly for the blessings given me...).

I believe that you are truly present to your people in the Holy Sacrament. And since I cannot now receive you sacramentally, I pray you to come spiritually into my heart. I unite myself to you, and embrace you with all the affection of my soul. Let nothing separate me from you; let me serve you in this life until, by your grace, I come to your glorious kingdom and unending peace. Amen.

    Our Father...

Come Lord Jesus, dwell with your servant in the fullness of your strength, in the perfection of your ways, and in the holiness of your spirit, and rule over every hostile power in the might of the Spirit, and to the glory of the Father. Amen.

The Body and Blood of our Lord Jesus Christ preserve my body and soul unto everlasting life. Amen.

And may the peace of God, which passes all understanding, keep my heart and mind in the knowledge and love of God, and of his Son Jesus Christ my Lord: and the blessing of God Almighty, the Father X the Son, and the Holy Spirit, be with me now and always. Amen.

Act of Praise and Thanksgiving
 X Blessed, praised, hallowed, and adored be Jesus Christ on his high throne of glory in heaven, in the most Holy Sacrament of the altar, and in the hearts of his faithful people. Amen.
                                                                                                               
(Based on various sources, esp. the new St. Augustine's Prayer Book)

No comments:

Post a Comment